How to Navigate This Blog...

This blog will contain my writing assignments, as well as journaling about my thoughts on writing and reading. How can you find what you want to read? Here's a list of the labels (actual label words I use are in bold font) I will be using and what they refer to. Labels can be found at the end of each post itself.

WRITING

Fiction Assignment: refers to assignments from the book “Now Write! Fiction Writing Exercises From Today’s Best Writers”
 Subcategories (refers to the section of the book): Get Writing; Point Of View; Character Development; Dialogue; Plot and Pacing; Setting and Description; Craft; Revision

Nonfiction Assignment: refers to assignments from the book “Now Write! Nonfiction”
 Subcategories (refers to the section of the book): Get Writing; Truth in Nonfiction; Memories and Inspiration; Characterization; Place; Voice, Dialogue, and Sound; Craft; Revision

Personal Writing: refers to writing that I’ve done simply for my own pleasure, not an assignment
 Subcategories: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry

JOURNALING

Journal Entry
Reading: to my thoughts on something I’m currently reading.
Writing: my thoughts on writing in general.
Writing Assignment: my thoughts on writing assignments from either of the books. I may be stuck or trying to explain or work out something I’m writing in these entries.
General: pretty much anything else.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Assignment: Three Things That Stopped Me in My Tracks - Part 1 of 4

This is a 4 part assignment.  Each part is supposed to be done about 2-3 days apart.  I'm supposed to describe the specifics of something that happened and why I think it caught my attention.

Baths relax me.  After a long day there is nothing I enjoy more than slipping into a steamy tub with a good book and a cold drink at the ready.  If I'm really in the mood to treat myself, I'll add Lush bath bombs or melts to the tub.  They come in many varieties with different scents, colors and purposes.  I've tried just about all of them, but there was one particular bath melt that really captured my attention... the Karma bath melt!
Karma is one of Lush's signature scents and one of my favorites.  It's deliciously seductive scent combines just the right amounts of patchouli, orange, lemongrass, lavender and pine.  The bath melt combines this long lingering scent with skin-softening cocoa butter, almond oil and (according to their advertising) a hint of glitter.  This sounded like heaven in the shape of small pyramid and I decided to give it a try.

My Karma bath sparkled with a golden glow, inviting me to lounge in its warm, shimmery depths for an eternity... or at least an hour.  With the sultry sounds of Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" playing softly in the background, I slipped into the tub and opened my book.  An hour (ok... maybe two) later, it was time for me to leave my glorious bath and get some sleep.  My muscles had relaxed and I was feeling on top of the world.  I blew out the candles that had surrounded my tub, hit the lights and gasped! 

Holy glitter fairy Batman!  I was covered head-to-toe with golden glitter.  Not just a little glitter either; I looked like a cross between an Oscar statue and a vampire from the Twilight books who'd stumbled into the sun.  "Oh well," I thought to myself, "it will brush off me when I dry off."  I then turned to face my tub... now looking as though it had been dipped in a golden pond.  This was definately more than a "hint" of glitter.  After drying off, I began to notice that there was glitter everywhere... the tub, the towel, the cat who had inadvertently rubbed against my leg, the floor, the walls and well... just everywhere! 

The household glitter explosion lasted for months.  When I tried to wash it off, it got on my body wash pouf.  When I wore clothes it coated every outfit.  Gold sparkly glitter ended up in the food I cooked, the carpet, and even on the tires of my car!  There was shockingly a never-ending supply of glitter in places I couldn't see.  All I can say is, it's a good thing I didn't have to visit my gynocologist for a while... he might have thought I was trying a little too hard to impress him.  I was afraid to have sex, for fear that afterwards my boyfriend would be forced to stand next to another man in a public bathroom with a glittery golden penis!

You might think that all this glitter would cause me avoid that particular bath melt like the plague, however... when I'm feeling down in the dumps and in the mood to brighten up my life... I know just how to make it all sparkle.  I just add a little Karma!

No comments:

Post a Comment